Switch to ADAS
Advantages of an ADAS Qualification
Crossover to ADAS
Advantages of an ADAS Qualification
Having an ADAS qualification:
- Means that the whole of the occupational diving industry is open to you. If you need, or want to, change direction, you have the basis to move to a different diving or diving-related career.
- Provides a credible certificate of competency which is recognised and provides entry to occupational diving throughout the world.
- Provides a structured career path which allows the diver to enter the industry at the bottom as a rookie and progress through all aspects of active diving up to, and including, mixed gas and closed bell operations. It also provides an exit path for those who don’t want to, or can’t, continue getting wet through graduating to supervising other divers and/or managing diving projects, piloting an ROV or operating a hyperbaric facility in the clinical or tunnelling industries.
- Provides recognition and reward for the academic aspects of the diver’s efforts with vocational qualifications that can be used to gain credit towards further vocational, tertiary or post-tertiary study.
- For dive supervisors, is even more critical, as they assume substantial responsibility and liability when they take on their role, especially in the present litigious environment where civil claims are being brought every day before the courts. ADAS supervisor training and assessment is specifically designed to provide supervisors with the credible skills and knowledge with which to undertake their role, especially in the area of accident and emergency management, and equips them with the competencies necessary to minimise risks to their divers and themselves.
- For an employer/contractor, hiring ADAS divers and supervisors goes a long way to providing a credible means of demonstrating compliance with their legal duty of care. Under the law, employers must provide employees with any instruction and training necessary to ensure their health and safety. ADAS operations, training and assessment are externally validated and quality controlled and, together with the ADAS best practice standards, are specifically developed to provide exactly this. Employers who are aware and concerned about their duties and responsibilities under the law will always, therefore, employ ADAS-certified divers.
- Provides for 3rd party employers who also have a duty of care under the law (e.g. a government water board letting a contract to a diving contractor) a credible means of ensuring that a diving contractor working for them on their contract, is compliant with best practice and with the law. This lessens or may even negate consequential liability for the 3rd party employer. This means that 3rd party employers who are aware and concerned about their duties and responsibilities under the law will always specify that divers must be ADAS-qualified in their tender documents.
ADAS is a foundation member of the International Diving Regulators' Forum (IDRF - comprised of all the mainstream international certification schemes) and has formal mutual recognition arrangements with those and other countries and with appropriate industry peak bodies. These agreements ensure that the ADAS licence to dive is recognised as equivalent to the IDRF-member diving qualifications or to those that form the basis for the industry-based certification arrangements.
These agreements ensure that ADAS divers can operate in that country's jurisdiction with their ADAS certificate or by cross-over to the national certification.
But, as well as these formal, mainstream arrangements, ADAS qualifications have achieved recognition and acceptance throughout the world because of the Scheme’s leading international status, world class training standards and its mutual recognition arrangements with the other mainstream certification schemes.
ADAS-certified personnel are employed around the world - in Africa, Antarctica, Canada, China, Russia, South America, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabian, the USA - the list goes on and ADAS divers are out there getting down and dirty! Divers have come to ADAS for training and certification from all round the globe - from Canada, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Jamaica, Korea, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, South America, Sweden, Turkey, the UAE, the USA; etc, etc. As noted above, they work all around the world wherever high quality divers are needed.
An ADAS certification is truly a global licence to dive.
For more information about gaining an ADAS certification using your interntional certification, see the Mutual Recognition and Crossing Over page.
Crossover to ADAS
Crossover to ADAS Diver Certification
Application for crossover to ADAS Diver Certification from an INTERNATIONAL qualification (pdf 211KB)
Application for crossover to ADAS Diver Certification from RAN/Army/RNZN (pdf 215KB)
Crossover to ADAS Supervisor Certification
Application for crossover to ADAS Onshore Supervisor Certification (pdf 206KB)
Application for crossover to ADAS Offshore Supervisor Certification (pdf 90KB)
Schools - Accredited Training Establishments (ATE's)
ADAS Courses dlivered by ATE's
ADAS Course Outlines
ATE Course Calendars
Course Accreditation Status